Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Fall Plein Air Painting

"Slice of Light" Oil, 7"x5"
©2014 Diana Moses Botkin

Earlier this week I went with a fellow artist to nearby Kootenai Wildlife Refuge to paint en plein air. It was a beautiful afternoon and we actually had some sunshine after a week of rainy, grey days.

We drove to a couple of spots before settling on this place to get to work. I wanted those water reflections and the dramatic sky.

The sun was setting quickly and the mountain shadow darkened most of the scene before me after I'd been working only a short time. Which was actually quite nice, as it contrasted with that last bit of sunlight in the distance and lit up that glorious orange tree. Sometimes on-site paintings don't work well, but this one serendipitously came together nicely.

4 comments:

mary maxam said...

dramatic sky for sure! I love the depth that those clouds create. Just beautiful

Susan said...

It certainly did come together! Wonderful work, Diana!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Mary and Susan. I appreciate your feedback so much.

hmuxo said...

You caught that perfect light hitting the orange tree, Diana.
Beautiful painting!!!!